Saturday, April 21, 2012

Record Store Day.

I'd like to ask you guys to not buy my album today. It's only available as a digital download or in CD form at shows. In other words, not in stores. And today is Record Store Day. I've noticed a lot of talk online about today being all about a return to vinyl. But the way I understand it is that Record Store Day is more about supporting independent, brick-and-mortar record stores and less about vinyl versus CD versus MP3 downloads and all that.

I'm in New York City for a few days and will be out and about hunting for jazz albums and old punk 45s today. But that's the point. To get out and into the shops, and to do business with an actual human being. It also is supposed to remind us that their livelihood depends on our commerce more than just one day a year.