Friday, December 14, 2012

Practice or Rehearsal?

It's a familiar question. A couple of weeks ago, I got together with Fred and Nick for practice. Tonight we're having a rehearsal. Sometimes people ask me what's the difference.

Generally speaking, I've always used the word Practice to describe two situations: a) working alone on improving one's technique, b) regular sessions with a group. The term Rehearsal is one I use to indicate those sessions one does in preparation for a specific show.

In either case, one could be learning new material or going over the existing repertoire, nailing down the flow of each song and making adjustments to each arrangement as necessary. But in rehearsal, closer attention is being paid to the flow of the performance, working on intros and segu├ęs, and anticipating instrument changes and so on.

Hope to see you at the Grange Hall on Sunday (see last post). That was the first place I ever sat in with Fred's old band The Bluescasters (he phoned the next day to inform me I had been drafted into the group), so it'll be a sort of homecoming for us. Should be a fun show, and it'll definitely be for a good cause.