Saturday, December 12, 2020

12 December - Utopia Parkway

THIS WEEK'S COMMUTE
M: Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
T: U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
W: Peter Gabriel - Us
F: Fountains of Wayne - Utopia Parkway

My commutes will be few during this year's remaining couple of weeks, and as I've been mulling over not compiling these weekly lists any longer once the new year arrives, I've decided that this post will be the last one to feature them. If you've enjoyed them, I'm glad. But the coming months will be largely devoted to other content, much of which will concern my new album, which will be available on Bandcamp in late January.

For this final week, I chose albums by a few favorite frontmen, with Friday showcasing my friend Chris Collingwood. Chris and I didn't meet and form a friendship until a few years after this album was released, but it was Utopia Parkway that first made me a fan. In particular, the song Red Dragon Tattoo. Loved it immediately, and of course the rest of the record is fun as well. Hell, all their records have great songs on them.

This has been a strange year, and the death of Adam Schlesinger loomed large in the tragic reality of this awful pandemic. But I'm glad that I've got all the FoW albums to listen to, and their former lead singer right up the road. It's good to have friends, especially those who have become like family.

Have a look through my previous posts, the ones that have these THIS WEEK'S COMMUTE lists. In them are a lot of friends who I treasure and admire, and those in the lists are certainly not all of them. But perhaps by seeking out the ones I've mentioned, you'll find a way to meet the others.

We're all in this together. Be well, stay well.