Friday, November 20, 2020

20 November - It's Nice to be Nice

THIS WEEK'S COMMUTE
M: R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
T: The Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
W: George Harrison - Brainwashed
F: Pugwash - A Rose in a Garden of Weeds

Today's CD was the compilation of Pugwash songs put out by Omnivore Recordings in 2014, prior to the band's first visit to the USA. This is a fun album to have in the car, as it's a great sampling of many previous records. One gem after another. I was introduced to their music by Chris Collingwood, when he and I were recording what was to become my first solo effort, Wednesday Child. Soon after, we had all become pen pals (or the internet equivalent), and were swapping our music and much laughter across the waves from New England to Ireland.

 

Long story short (less long, anyway), I shared the bill with them for a number of New England shows on three of their American tours, and have many fond memories of our times together. The photo above was the last time I was onstage with them, October of 2016 at the Empire in Portland Maine. I'd opened for them at The Iron Horse in Northampton Mass a couple of nights before that.

Pugwash the band has had many lineups. These days Pugwash is largely its frontman and songwriter, Thomas Walsh. But during those tours, the band was rounded out by Shaun McGee on bass, Joe Fitzgerald on drums, and Tosh Flood on lead guitar. That's the band I will always think of, primarily because of the lasting friendships we all formed at the time. We may be distant geographically, but I love them like brothers.

Bottom line: Pugwash will always be one of my favorite bands ever.