Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Looking Forward to Winter.

You heard me. I know, this is completely out of character. But this time feels different. Our house is all battened down for the cold weather, we had the heating system serviced a couple of months ago, and we've taken the winter clothing and boots out of seasonal storage. We've still got a handful of things to do, but we're basically ready. And I'm ready mentally, for a change.

I'd planned to have more work done on the next album by now, but I don't, and I don't care. There's no deadline, so there's no hurry. In the meantime, I've written a few more songs, and am feeling no pressure to lay down tracks in any kind of order. Perhaps the next record will have the songs on it I'd originally planned, but who knows? I take comfort knowing that nothing needs to be decided anytime soon.

I suppose this is the best way to approach the cold part of the year: to know that even though everything we'd planned for this past year might not have gotten done, it's okay. It'll wait. It's time right now for us to prepare not only ourselves and our shelters, but to also prepare a welcome for the time itself. To understand that the pace of life should slow, like a slumbering heartbeat, until the sun awakens us again.